Re: [OT] CDBI Wiki

From: Stepan Riha
Subject: Re: [OT] CDBI Wiki
Date: 19:01 on 09 Jun 2005
Quoting Christopher Hicks <chicks@xxxxxx.xxx>:
> ... encouraging software we can
> modify, that we like the design of, that uses languages we're not ashamed
> of, and that uses tools we find to be good.

Sounds like MediaWiki fits all those qualification.  A mature, visually
appealing, well supported, actively maintained, Open Source software
written in
an easy-to-understand language supported by more hosts than Perl :-)

> PHP projects and the
> language itself tend to emphasize results over forethought and design
> which is ultimately a poor bargain.

PHP is just a language.  Since it's more accessible than Perl, you'll
have more
dilettantes dabbling with it, with the expected results.  That's the same
reasons why there is lots of crappy Javascript and (dare I say it?) Visual
Basic code out there.  Or crappy Perl CGI scripts from the 1990s, come
to think
of it.

> Perl and Class::DBI and Catalyst
> represent a better way to do things.

I agree, that's why it's important to have a good and flexible Wiki so that we
can get the most out of Class::DBI.

> Encouraging their proliferation is
> in the long-term interests of us all.

There are plenty of framework and similar modules in PHP (php.MVC, Pear DB,
Smarty, etc.), but this is a moot point.  Tony's not planning on taking on a
Wiki development project.  He's just looking for a Wiki that's going to serve
the best and thinks that MediaWiki fits that bill.  It does have the right
features (Discussions, etc.) and looks better and more mature than most other
Wikies (including MojoMojo).

     - Stepan

(message missing)

[OT] CDBI Wiki