Re: [OT] CDBI Wiki

From: Christopher Hicks
Subject: Re: [OT] CDBI Wiki
Date: 17:50 on 09 Jun 2005
On Thu, 9 Jun 2005, Tony Bowden wrote:
> Because I want to use the best tools that are available. And for my
> money, the best wiki available at the minute is Media Wiki.

So I'd guess you're using Microsoft Office on the Mac if the "best" tool
is the only factor in your consideration.

> How it's written, and in what language, has has somewhere very close to
> zero relevance to me.

From that I would take it that proliferation of open source and Perl is
not of concern to you at all?

> Looking at what I have open on my computer at the moment, I can confirm
> that, to the best of my knowledge, neither my wordprocessor, my
> spreadseet software, my web browser, nor my RSS aggregator are written
> in Perl either. I do not see this as a problem.

It isn't a problem partially because there is no Perl word processor,
spreadsheet or web browser.  If there were it still wouldn't be a problem,
but a factor relevant to many of us would be encouraging software we can
modify, that we like the design of, that uses languages we're not ashamed
of, and that uses tools we find to be good.

I've fallen in the trap of using PHP apps on a few occassions and I really
wish I had listened to my trepidation more before doing so.  I was able to
get off the ground faster I admit, but the maintenance and tweaking has
taken an inordinately long and painful time.  PHP projects and the
language itself tend to emphasize results over forethought and design
which is ultimately a poor bargain.  Perl and Class::DBI and Catalyst
represent a better way to do things.  Encouraging their proliferation is
in the long-term interests of us all.

        --
        </chris>

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)