Re: [OT] CDBI Wiki

From: Christopher Hicks
Subject: Re: [OT] CDBI Wiki
Date: 21:59 on 09 Jun 2005
On Thu, 9 Jun 2005, Tony Bowden wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 09, 2005 at 01:50:28PM -0400, Christopher Hicks wrote:
>>> How it's written, and in what language, has has somewhere very close to
>>> zero relevance to me.
>> From that I would take it that proliferation of open source and Perl is
>> not of concern to you at all?
> That's quite an impressive leap. Can I ask whether you've stopped
> beating your wife?

Its not a leap at all.  Caring about how something is written and having a
language you're a proponent of would seem to naturally have some nonzero
relevance to decisions you make in choosing software.  You state that
these things have zero relevance so one concludes quite naturally that
they don't matter to you.  The fact that you totally miss this simple
direct connection is truly bewildering.

> (Note, by the way, that Media Wiki is open source.)

I was aware of that.

>> Perl and Class::DBI and Catalyst represent a better way to do things.
>> Encouraging their proliferation is in the long-term interests of us all.
>
> Language fascism is certainly not in the long-term interests of anyone.

This isn't language fascism at all.  Its truly regrettable that you look
at it that way.  I'm here saying "hay, there's this related project that
would benefit from some wider exposure and seems elegant and effective...
and helping them out encourages wider use of CDBI" and you're taking it as
"use only Perl".  This is truly irksome.

I had considered saying that I was bowing out of the discussion in my
previous email, but I'm definitely at that point now.  I've tried to
encourage something that I think would be good for CDBI and good for the
community as a whole and instead of rational consideration I've gotten
labeled a fascist and a wife beater, which is truly baseless and
tasteless.  Clearly getting a different perspective considered here is
beyond my talents.

        --
        </chris>

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)