Re: Need help with finding solution to CDBI bug

From: Yuval Kogman
Subject: Re: Need help with finding solution to CDBI bug
Date: 15:30 on 21 Jun 2004
--DrWhICOqskFTAXiy

On Mon, Jun 21, 2004 at 11:14:38 -0400, William McKee wrote:

>    # While version -- better support for embedded keys (I think)

I think that this will actually cause trouble... ->id will recurse on
either solution, so your while loop should only happen once, and my map
should get the same value Baxie $_->id will perform ->id on all of
it's primary key returns, as long as they're references.  But I think
this isn't good behavior, now that I look at your case, and see what
both the solutions will do.

If $obj has $obj2, and $obj2 has $obj3, as primary key values, and we
call $obj->id, we shouldn't get the id of $obj3 instead, even if it's
the same across tables. This could have a performance hit, because we're
after a value Class::DBI already has from the database, but we're
possibly inflating N objects to find something that although is
equivalent, isn't exactly what we're after.

It hadn't occurred to me that nesting was easily a possibility, and I
figured "what the heck, I don't care about a small performance hit". But
this shouldn't go into CDBI itself, IMHO. id should simply get the
literal values, instead of the deflated ones.

Note that retreiving $obj by giving $obj2 to retreive works. What's your
opinion on this? Is $obj2 the identifier? is it canonical? is it
something else? I'm not sure I know what my opinion is...

--=20
 ()  Yuval Kogman <nothingmuch@xxxxxxxx.xxx> 0xEBD27418  perl hacker &
 /\  kung foo master: /me beats up some cheese: neeyah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--DrWhICOqskFTAXiy

--DrWhICOqskFTAXiy--

(message missing)

Need help with finding solution to CDBI bug
William McKee 11:40 on 19 Jun 2004

Re: Need help with finding solution to CDBI bug
William McKee 13:19 on 21 Jun 2004

Re: Need help with finding solution to CDBI bug
Tony Bowden 14:06 on 21 Jun 2004

Re: Need help with finding solution to CDBI bug
William McKee 15:14 on 21 Jun 2004

Re: Need help with finding solution to CDBI bug
Charles Bailey 15:23 on 21 Jun 2004

Re: Need help with finding solution to CDBI bug
William McKee 17:07 on 21 Jun 2004

Re: Need help with finding solution to CDBI bug
Yuval Kogman 15:30 on 21 Jun 2004

Re: Need help with finding solution to CDBI bug
Yuval Kogman 15:37 on 21 Jun 2004

Re: Need help with finding solution to CDBI bug
Charles Bailey 16:12 on 25 Jun 2004

Re: Need help with finding solution to CDBI bug
Tony Bowden 16:33 on 25 Jun 2004

Re: Need help with finding solution to CDBI bug
Charles Bailey 21:47 on 25 Jun 2004

Re: Need help with finding solution to CDBI bug
Tony Bowden 08:34 on 26 Jun 2004

Re: Need help with finding solution to CDBI bug
Takes Tea at Half Past Three 17:06 on 25 Jun 2004

Re: Need help with finding solution to CDBI bug
Charles Bailey 22:13 on 25 Jun 2004

Re: Need help with finding solution to CDBI bug
Tony Bowden 00:10 on 26 Jun 2004

RE: Need help with finding solution to CDBI bug
robert_creager 04:34 on 03 Jul 2004

Re: Need help with finding solution to CDBI bug
William McKee 17:17 on 05 Jul 2004

Re: Need help with finding solution to CDBI bug
Robert Creager 20:57 on 05 Jul 2004

Re: Need help with finding solution to CDBI bug
Robert Creager 00:22 on 06 Jul 2004

Re: Need help with finding solution to CDBI bug
William McKee 12:50 on 06 Jul 2004

Re: Need help with finding solution to CDBI bug
William McKee 17:05 on 21 Jun 2004

Re: Need help with finding solution to CDBI bug
Yuval Kogman 17:18 on 21 Jun 2004

Re: Need help with finding solution to CDBI bug
William McKee 17:41 on 21 Jun 2004

Re: Need help with finding solution to CDBI bug
Yuval Kogman 18:04 on 21 Jun 2004

Re: Need help with finding solution to CDBI bug
William McKee 19:20 on 21 Jun 2004

Re: Need help with finding solution to CDBI bug
Yuval Kogman 20:16 on 21 Jun 2004

Re: Need help with finding solution to CDBI bug
Tony Bowden 07:34 on 22 Jun 2004

Re: Need help with finding solution to CDBI bug
Yuval Kogman 14:25 on 21 Jun 2004

Re: Need help with finding solution to CDBI bug
William McKee 20:03 on 22 Jun 2004

Re: Need help with finding solution to CDBI bug
William McKee 22:44 on 22 Jun 2004

Re: Need help with finding solution to CDBI bug
Tony Bowden 15:16 on 24 Oct 2004

Re: Need help with finding solution to CDBI bug
Charles Bailey 22:15 on 22 Jun 2004

Re: Need help with finding solution to CDBI bug
William McKee 12:33 on 23 Jun 2004

Re: Need help with finding solution to CDBI bug
Charles Bailey 17:17 on 23 Jun 2004

Re: Need help with finding solution to CDBI bug
William McKee 11:38 on 22 Jun 2004

Re: Need help with finding solution to CDBI bug
merlyn (Randal L. Schwartz) 16:10 on 22 Jun 2004

Re: Need help with finding solution to CDBI bug
William McKee 13:19 on 22 Jun 2004

Re: Need help with finding solution to CDBI bug
Charles Bailey 22:04 on 22 Jun 2004

Re: Need help with finding solution to CDBI bug
Tony Bowden 12:43 on 23 Jun 2004

Re: Need help with finding solution to CDBI bug
Yuval Kogman 19:52 on 22 Jun 2004

Re: Need help with finding solution to CDBI bug
Tony Bowden 19:56 on 23 Jun 2004

Re: Need help with finding solution to CDBI bug
William McKee 12:48 on 23 Jun 2004

Re: Need help with finding solution to CDBI bug
Charles Bailey 22:12 on 23 Jun 2004

Re: Need help with finding solution to CDBI bug
Yuval Kogman 23:30 on 22 Jun 2004

Re: Need help with finding solution to CDBI bug
Tony Bowden 07:08 on 24 Jun 2004

Re: Need help with finding solution to CDBI bug
Charles Bailey 13:53 on 24 Jun 2004

Re: Need help with finding solution to CDBI bug
Tony Bowden 14:51 on 24 Jun 2004

Re: Need help with finding solution to CDBI bug
Tony Bowden 07:12 on 24 Jun 2004

Re: Need help with finding solution to CDBI bug
Charles Bailey 13:50 on 24 Jun 2004

Re: Need help with finding solution to CDBI bug
Tony Bowden 14:55 on 24 Jun 2004

Re: Need help with finding solution to CDBI bug
Tony Bowden 16:04 on 27 Jun 2004

Re: Need help with finding solution to CDBI bug
Charles Bailey 17:53 on 27 Jun 2004

Re: Need help with finding solution to CDBI bug
William McKee 12:58 on 06 Jul 2004