Re: Stolen Ideas

From: Tony Bowden
Subject: Re: Stolen Ideas
Date: 22:25 on 10 Aug 2004
On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 05:11:23PM -0500, ed-cdbi@xxxxxxxx.xxx wrote:
> > Most of their user guide is complete gibberish to me.
> Sounds like wading through all the class::dbi docs on cpan.
> /me ducks

I think the docs are getting better with each release. There's still a
long way to go, though. Putting together the tutorial for YAPC::Europe
is helping point out some of the flaws. There's also still too much
knowledge that's only really available via the mailing list or wiki.
It's quite hard to structure all that for proper docs though.

Suggestions are always appreciated!

> Seriously though has O'Reilly (or anyone else) approached you about writing a
> book about cdbi?

Nope, and at this stage I'd probably turn it down - or at least put it
on hold for a year. Aside from the fact that I really don't have time
to do something like that at the minute, there are too many things in
Class::DBI still in flux. Mostly it's innards and add-ons, so existing
users won't be inconvenienced too much, but a large part of any book on
Class::DBI would be on advanced techniques and interesting ways to extend
it, which currently involve scary things that I'm trying to smooth :)

There's still a whole lot of simplicity to find.

The company we've just bought over have some 'interesting' database
schemas and set-ups for me to work with, so that should trigger some
interesting extensions over the next 6 months as I get stuck into
working with that. I've spent too much time in the last few years
working with databases that neatly match my expectations of what a
database should look like!

Tony

(message missing)

Stolen Ideas
Tony Bowden 18:58 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
ed-cdbi 19:03 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Tony Bowden 19:06 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
ed-cdbi 19:08 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Tony Bowden 19:11 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
ed-cdbi 19:19 on 10 Aug 2004

RE: Stolen Ideas
Thomas, Mark - BLS CTR 19:11 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Tony Bowden 19:27 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Nelson C. T. Ferraz 15:14 on 12 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Scott McWhirter 19:18 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Tony Bowden 19:28 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Scott McWhirter 20:42 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Perrin Harkins 21:08 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Tony Bowden 21:33 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Scott McWhirter 22:58 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Perrin Harkins 23:23 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Gregory P. Smith 19:55 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Perrin Harkins 20:02 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Tony Bowden 21:47 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Perrin Harkins 22:23 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Tony Bowden 22:37 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Perrin Harkins 22:57 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Yuval Kogman 15:39 on 11 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Tony Bowden 22:02 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
ed-cdbi 22:11 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Tony Bowden 22:25 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Tim Bunce 08:53 on 24 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Perrin Harkins 22:16 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Tony Bowden 22:42 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Tony Bowden 22:16 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Tony Bowden 23:18 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Scott McWhirter 23:48 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Perrin Harkins 00:22 on 11 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Perrin Harkins 03:45 on 11 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Tony Bowden 08:36 on 11 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Aaron Trevena 19:05 on 13 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Aaron Trevena 17:13 on 15 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Dan Friedman 04:47 on 11 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Tony Bowden 08:39 on 11 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Branislav Zahradnik 15:21 on 11 Aug 2004

RE: Stolen Ideas
Thomas, Mark - BLS CTR 19:13 on 13 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Tony Bowden 23:16 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Perrin Harkins 23:42 on 10 Aug 2004