Re: Stolen Ideas

From: Aaron Trevena
Subject: Re: Stolen Ideas
Date: 17:13 on 15 Aug 2004
Replying to my own post - first sign of being a kook!

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004, Aaron Trevena wrote:
> I have been trying to keep up with this thread while on Holiday. I am
> working on a project called PINT which would provide a simplified version
> of Tangram with less magic and more extensibility. CDBI provides the base
> along with a load of subclasses providing new relationships (Richard Hundt
> has written an IsA relationship already, and I plan a keyed relationship
> as well) and attributes (flat intrusive array, vector, bitmap, boolean,
> intrusive hash, external array, external hash, and serialised data
> structures).

I decided that over-riding the columns method in Class/DBI.pm was the
cause of my woes with PINT, so adding a new column_types() method to
specify compound attributes (i.e. lists, etc) in the same kind of way as
columns() has simplified things greatly.

Now I have PINT classes with array attributes that can be accessed in
scalar or array context, replaced, pushed and popped, and the serialised
nicely into the db.

Once I followed the CDBI way of doing things I was able to add what I
wanted on top and leverage CDBI and Class::Data::Inheritable to do the
boring bits. Kudos to Tony and the other authors for providing something
you can build on so quickly and easily without finding yourself up a creek
without a paddle.

This means Class::PINT should be on CPAN some time next week with funky
hash and array attributes and the IsA relationship as well as tangram
style syntax and schema specification (give or take some tricky bits).

cheers,

A.

        --
        Aaron J Trevena - Perl Hacker, Kung Fu Geek, Internet Consultant
AutoDia --- Automatic UML and HTML Specifications from Perl, C++

(message missing)

Stolen Ideas
Tony Bowden 18:58 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
ed-cdbi 19:03 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Tony Bowden 19:06 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
ed-cdbi 19:08 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Tony Bowden 19:11 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
ed-cdbi 19:19 on 10 Aug 2004

RE: Stolen Ideas
Thomas, Mark - BLS CTR 19:11 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Tony Bowden 19:27 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Nelson C. T. Ferraz 15:14 on 12 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Scott McWhirter 19:18 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Tony Bowden 19:28 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Scott McWhirter 20:42 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Perrin Harkins 21:08 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Tony Bowden 21:33 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Scott McWhirter 22:58 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Perrin Harkins 23:23 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Gregory P. Smith 19:55 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Perrin Harkins 20:02 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Tony Bowden 21:47 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Perrin Harkins 22:23 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Tony Bowden 22:37 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Perrin Harkins 22:57 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Yuval Kogman 15:39 on 11 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Tony Bowden 22:02 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
ed-cdbi 22:11 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Tony Bowden 22:25 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Tim Bunce 08:53 on 24 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Perrin Harkins 22:16 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Tony Bowden 22:42 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Tony Bowden 22:16 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Tony Bowden 23:18 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Scott McWhirter 23:48 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Perrin Harkins 00:22 on 11 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Perrin Harkins 03:45 on 11 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Tony Bowden 08:36 on 11 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Aaron Trevena 19:05 on 13 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Aaron Trevena 17:13 on 15 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Dan Friedman 04:47 on 11 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Tony Bowden 08:39 on 11 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Branislav Zahradnik 15:21 on 11 Aug 2004

RE: Stolen Ideas
Thomas, Mark - BLS CTR 19:13 on 13 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Tony Bowden 23:16 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Perrin Harkins 23:42 on 10 Aug 2004