Re: Stolen Ideas

From: Scott McWhirter
Subject: Re: Stolen Ideas
Date: 23:48 on 10 Aug 2004
Tony Bowden wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 11:58:50PM +0100, Scott McWhirter wrote:
>
>>> my @cds = $artist->cds(year => 1980);
>>>What does the other stuff give over this?
>>
>>What it gives you, quite simply is a UNIQUE result for the access per
>>key or index - not a list as @cds, - just one
>

> my $cd = $artist->cds(year => 1980)->first;
Can you be exactly sure that you'll always get exactly the same object
back using that method? and what if the cd i'm concerned with isn't the
first in that year but the second... or has suddenly been deleted from
the database?
The reason for using a hash is that you know for a _fact_ that there
will always be a unique object for that key and then you can use it just
as you would any other hash.
Say for example, you have a database schema where objects are constantly
being created and deleted... can you be absolutely certain that your
object can be retrieved in the same manner?
In tangram, every object in the database, no matter the class; is
assigned a unique object ID (OID) so that mapping of relationships
(keyed, indexed, etc.) only ever does very simple lookups. You could see
it as a complex behavioural change, but it's actually a pretty
significant performance enhancement on top of the functionality.

>>>Class::DBI isn't really about storing objects in a database. It's about
>>>going the other way.
>>
>>Of course it is, but my suggestion focuses on making CDBI truly
>>orthogonal, not just a database abstraction tool, but a completely
>>natural OO mapping to the DB. ... It can be implemented really easily
>>and can be viewed as a performance enhancement.
>

> I'm sure it can be knocked up as a plugin. If it can't I'm willing to
> look at ways to making it possible to do so. But I don't expect that
> I'll add anything like this to the core any time soon.
Yup, I believe Aaron Trevena is currently working on something along
these lines... though I think he's finding it a bigger chunk to bite
than he expected. I'm sure we'll hear something from him though.

        --
        -Scott McWhirter- | -kungfuftr-

(message missing)

Stolen Ideas
Tony Bowden 18:58 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
ed-cdbi 19:03 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Tony Bowden 19:06 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
ed-cdbi 19:08 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Tony Bowden 19:11 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
ed-cdbi 19:19 on 10 Aug 2004

RE: Stolen Ideas
Thomas, Mark - BLS CTR 19:11 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Tony Bowden 19:27 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Nelson C. T. Ferraz 15:14 on 12 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Scott McWhirter 19:18 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Tony Bowden 19:28 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Scott McWhirter 20:42 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Perrin Harkins 21:08 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Tony Bowden 21:33 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Scott McWhirter 22:58 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Perrin Harkins 23:23 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Gregory P. Smith 19:55 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Perrin Harkins 20:02 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Tony Bowden 21:47 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Perrin Harkins 22:23 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Tony Bowden 22:37 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Perrin Harkins 22:57 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Yuval Kogman 15:39 on 11 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Tony Bowden 22:02 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
ed-cdbi 22:11 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Tony Bowden 22:25 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Tim Bunce 08:53 on 24 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Perrin Harkins 22:16 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Tony Bowden 22:42 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Tony Bowden 22:16 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Tony Bowden 23:18 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Scott McWhirter 23:48 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Perrin Harkins 00:22 on 11 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Perrin Harkins 03:45 on 11 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Tony Bowden 08:36 on 11 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Aaron Trevena 19:05 on 13 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Aaron Trevena 17:13 on 15 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Dan Friedman 04:47 on 11 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Tony Bowden 08:39 on 11 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Branislav Zahradnik 15:21 on 11 Aug 2004

RE: Stolen Ideas
Thomas, Mark - BLS CTR 19:13 on 13 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Tony Bowden 23:16 on 10 Aug 2004

Re: Stolen Ideas
Perrin Harkins 23:42 on 10 Aug 2004