Re: using DBI handles managed elsewhere

From: Tim Bunce
Subject: Re: using DBI handles managed elsewhere
Date: 22:47 on 04 Apr 2005
On Mon, Apr 04, 2005 at 03:03:11PM -0400, Perrin Harkins wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-03-25 at 10:00 -0500, Chris Winters wrote:
> > I'm trying to find a good balance here and I'm not sure how much the
> > features from Ima::DBI (primarily caching, yes?) are worth rejiggering
> > an existing infrastructure to wedge it in.
>
> You can't use Class::DBI without Ima::DBI at this point.  Ima::DBI
> should not be an issue for integrating with OpenInteract2.  You just
> need to override db_Main, which you have to do anyway to use Class::DBI
> with mod_perl.
>
> The problem I ran into is that modifying an already open handle (which
> you will be getting from OI2) to have a RootClass of
> DBIx::ContextualFetch doesn't seem easy to do, and doing it may cause in
> the rest of your application, because it changes the behavior of
> standard DBI methods in certain contexts.  AFAIK though, the only
> relevant change is that calls to $sth->fetch() in list context behave
> differently, and this may not matter because that would have been a
> strange thing to do before.
>
> I didn't try very hard before postponing dealing with this problem, so
> maybe we can solve it.

I think Class::DBI can (and should) be altered to not depend on
DBIx::ContextualFetch. It would mean duplicating some DBIx::ContextualFetch
functionality within Class::DBI. It's not much code and, to my mind, the
benefits outweigh the philosophical concerns.

Tim.

(message missing)

using DBI handles managed elsewhere
Chris Winters 04:49 on 25 Mar 2005

Re: using DBI handles managed elsewhere
Tony Bowden 10:42 on 25 Mar 2005

Re: using DBI handles managed elsewhere
Chris Winters 15:00 on 25 Mar 2005

Re: using DBI handles managed elsewhere
Perrin Harkins 19:03 on 04 Apr 2005

Re: using DBI handles managed elsewhere
Tim Bunce 22:47 on 04 Apr 2005

Re: using DBI handles managed elsewhere
Tony Bowden 23:03 on 04 Apr 2005

Re: using DBI handles managed elsewhere
Juan Camacho 04:16 on 05 Apr 2005

Re: using DBI handles managed elsewhere
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Ask_Bj=F8rn_Hansen?= 11:14 on 05 Apr 2005

Re: using DBI handles managed elsewhere
Jim Brandt 17:19 on 01 Apr 2005

Re: using DBI handles managed elsewhere
Tony Bowden 19:30 on 01 Apr 2005

Re: using DBI handles managed elsewhere
Chris Winters 22:04 on 01 Apr 2005

Re: using DBI handles managed elsewhere
Perrin Harkins 03:30 on 05 Apr 2005

Generated at 14:42 on 11 Apr 2005 by mariachi v0.52