Re: Ima::DBI patch for mod_perl compatibility

From: Rhesa Rozendaal
Subject: Re: Ima::DBI patch for mod_perl compatibility
Date: 19:43 on 10 Jun 2005
Tony Bowden wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 03:08:53PM +0100, Aaron Trevena wrote:
>>Is there a good reason not to include this in Ima::DBI?
>
> a) It's not core functionality - it's purely situational.

I agree. I think it should be viewed as something platform specific. Not
quite unlike the File::Spec set of modules.

In general it's a bad idea to have platform specific code in an
otherwise abstract class. I would suggest something like, say,
Ima::DBI::ModPerl and optionally even Ima::DBI::ModPerl2.

I also use CDBI in a POE environment, and although I've not encountered
any issues at all, I could imagine it might need support. So a
Ima::DBI::POE would make sense in that hypothetical case.

> b) I don't really understand the issues, so I'm the wrong person to
> maintain it.

You shouldn't have to. Provided we as a group come up with the proper
code and tests, there's not much you have to know or do about it.
Assuming we can actually deliver :)

> But I don't see this as an issue in this case. Here I'd expect Maypole
> (or whatever) to DTRT for the user and hide it all, just as they already
> hide most of this stuff for people.

I don't feel that's the right approach to be honest. It should not be up
to the end users to add platform support. Ideally it would be completely
transparent for everyone.

It's not just Maypole you see. There's also Catalyst, and a lot of
people (me, for one) use cdbi with CGI::Application, and I'm sure Randal
uses it in his CGI::Prototype framework.

I also use cdbi a lot outside of a web environment, too, of course. Not
having to remember to add specific code to deal with mod_perl would be
clean, and efficient.

Ideally Ima::DBI (or Class::DBI) would pick up under which environment
it's operating, and adjust itself accordingly.

In any case, I hope you agree that - given the storm of protests - there
really is an issue with Ima::DBI under mod_perl. How we're going to deal
with it is another matter.

Rhesa

(message missing)

Ima::DBI patch for mod_perl compatibility
Perrin Harkins 19:06 on 09 Jun 2005

Re: Ima::DBI patch for mod_perl compatibility
Tony Bowden 19:19 on 09 Jun 2005

Re: Ima::DBI patch for mod_perl compatibility
Perrin Harkins 20:23 on 09 Jun 2005

Re: Ima::DBI patch for mod_perl compatibility
Aaron Trevena 14:08 on 10 Jun 2005

Re: Ima::DBI patch for mod_perl compatibility
Tony Bowden 16:58 on 10 Jun 2005

Re: Ima::DBI patch for mod_perl compatibility
Rhesa Rozendaal 19:43 on 10 Jun 2005

Re: Ima::DBI patch for mod_perl compatibility
Tony Bowden 20:00 on 10 Jun 2005

Re: Ima::DBI patch for mod_perl compatibility
Sebastian Riedel 20:35 on 10 Jun 2005

Re: Ima::DBI patch for mod_perl compatibility
Perrin Harkins 08:48 on 16 Jun 2005

Re: Ima::DBI patch for mod_perl compatibility
Carl Johnstone 13:07 on 16 Jun 2005

Re: Ima::DBI patch for mod_perl compatibility
Michael Peters 17:12 on 16 Jun 2005

Re: Ima::DBI patch for mod_perl compatibility
Perrin Harkins 22:52 on 17 Jun 2005

Re: Ima::DBI patch for mod_perl compatibility
merlyn (Randal L. Schwartz) 18:03 on 24 Jun 2005

Re: Ima::DBI patch for mod_perl compatibility
Perrin Harkins 16:03 on 28 Jun 2005

Re: Ima::DBI patch for mod_perl compatibility
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Ask_Bj=F8rn_Hansen?= 20:36 on 10 Jun 2005

Re: Ima::DBI patch for mod_perl compatibility
Perrin Harkins 00:45 on 16 Jun 2005

Re: Ima::DBI patch for mod_perl compatibility
Perrin Harkins 00:27 on 16 Jun 2005

Re: Ima::DBI patch for mod_perl compatibility
Rhesa Rozendaal 19:44 on 09 Jun 2005

Re: Ima::DBI patch for mod_perl compatibility
Perrin Harkins 20:26 on 09 Jun 2005

Re: Ima::DBI patch for mod_perl compatibility
Hartmaier Alexander 07:29 on 10 Jun 2005

Re: Ima::DBI patch for mod_perl compatibility
Perrin Harkins 00:24 on 16 Jun 2005

Re: Ima::DBI patch for mod_perl compatibility
Drew Taylor 14:45 on 10 Jun 2005

Re: Ima::DBI patch for mod_perl compatibility
Edward J. Sabol 17:52 on 10 Jun 2005

Re: Ima::DBI patch for mod_perl compatibility
William Ross 18:12 on 10 Jun 2005

Re: Ima::DBI patch for mod_perl compatibility
Tony Bowden 18:39 on 10 Jun 2005

Re: Ima::DBI patch for mod_perl compatibility
Edward J. Sabol 18:45 on 10 Jun 2005

Re: Ima::DBI patch for mod_perl compatibility
Jason Gessner 19:09 on 10 Jun 2005

Re: Ima::DBI patch for mod_perl compatibility
Perrin Harkins 00:31 on 16 Jun 2005

Re: Ima::DBI patch for mod_perl compatibility
Michael Peters 20:13 on 10 Jun 2005

Re: Ima::DBI patch for mod_perl compatibility
Hartmaier Alexander 16:42 on 28 Jun 2005

Re: Ima::DBI patch for mod_perl compatibility
Tony Bowden 18:54 on 10 Jun 2005

Re: Ima::DBI patch for mod_perl compatibility
Tony Bowden 19:27 on 10 Jun 2005