Re: Annouce: DBIx::Class, a.k.a "taking the easy way out"

From: Matt S Trout
Subject: Re: Annouce: DBIx::Class, a.k.a "taking the easy way out"
Date: 21:03 on 25 Jul 2005
On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 01:09:23PM -0400, Tyler Rorabaugh wrote:
> Pardon me for stating this but the Root of CPAN having multiple sets
> of modules that do the same thing is the fact that rather than
> refactoring old code we as perl programmers are lazy and tend to just
> write new code. My concern about this discussion is if there is
> something thats going to replace something else then it must be done
> over time.

Precisely - and exactly why a research project about now is a good idea. If
it turns out to be good enough for people to use all the better, if not
we'll learn something. If it ends up in the latter category I shan't stain
CPAN with its presence, and Namespaces Shall Not Be Dirtied :)

> Just curious but why not create a sub class of Class::DBI and overide
> the existing base methods......

We did that. It's called Class::DBI::Sweet. I added arbitrary-hop joins
to the search and released 0.05 while I was prototyping DBIx::Class.

To achieve what I want to achieve with DBIx::Class, I'd have to override
almost all the methods - which means nobody could trust it to be as
stable as Class::DBI, and would force me to stick to the API
fairly religiously, even where I don't like it. There isn't any point. If
anything good turns up in DBIx::Class that people want to use with plain
Class::DBI or ::Sweet I'll happily help with the merging - given pretty
much every application we deploy for clients has Class::DBI in it somewhere
I've plenty to gain from co-operating ...

        --
             Matt S Trout           Website: http://www.shadowcatsystems.co.uk
  Technical Director        E-mail:  mst (at) shadowcatsystems.co.uk

(message missing)

Re: Annouce: DBIx::Class, a.k.a "taking the easy way out"
Matt S Trout 21:03 on 25 Jul 2005

Delegation vs Hooks (was: Annouce: DBIx::Class, a.k.a "taking the easy way out")
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Ask_Bj=F8rn_Hansen?= 23:27 on 26 Jul 2005