Re: Annouce: DBIx::Class, a.k.a "taking the easy way out"

From: Matt S Trout
Subject: Re: Annouce: DBIx::Class, a.k.a "taking the easy way out"
Date: 23:10 on 25 Jul 2005
On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 10:05:02PM +0100, Tony Bowden wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 10:03:25PM +0100, Matt S Trout wrote:
> > We did that. It's called Class::DBI::Sweet. I added arbitrary-hop joins
> > to the search and released 0.05 while I was prototyping DBIx::Class.
>
> At the weekend I pretty much implemented my new Search approach to
> Class::DBI. It will work in the same sort of way as Relationships.

Please, please have a poke at the way I've done Relationship.pm in
DBIx::Class - it's maybe not Right but it lets me get has_a and has_many
with minimal effort and joins are a lot less hassle as well.

> The default search methods are plugged in from a Search class, and people
> can easily plug in other search classes to provide alternative search
> functionality, without having to subclass or do the current import tricks.
>
> I think it's fairly clean although I'm still trying a couple of different
> options about how it injects SQL that it needs.

That sounds pretty nice, although I do hope you make it easy enough to write
one for Abstract for those of us who like it.

> I'll hopefully get it polished up later this week so that people can
> play with it.

SHOW US THE CODE!
SHOW US THE CODE!
SHOW US THE CODE!

*waves flag*

> Regardless of what happens with Class::DBI::Sweet / DBIx::Class / etc.,
> I'd really like to see the multi-hop join code appear as a Search
> plugin...

Give me code to work with and if I don't find time to do it I can at least
help out whoever does.

Wonder if the author of DeepAbstractSearch is on here, I smell a potential
to merge stuff here :)

        --
             Matt S Trout           Website: http://www.shadowcatsystems.co.uk
  Technical Director        E-mail:  mst (at) shadowcatsystems.co.uk

(message missing)

Delegation vs Hooks (was: Annouce: DBIx::Class, a.k.a "taking the easy way out")
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Ask_Bj=F8rn_Hansen?= 23:27 on 26 Jul 2005

Re: Annouce: DBIx::Class, a.k.a "taking the easy way out"
Matt S Trout 23:10 on 25 Jul 2005