Re: Annouce: DBIx::Class, a.k.a "taking the easy way out"

From: Matt S Trout
Subject: Re: Annouce: DBIx::Class, a.k.a "taking the easy way out"
Date: 21:08 on 25 Jul 2005
On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 07:14:28PM +0100, Tony Bowden wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 07:24:47PM +0200, Sebastian Riedel wrote:
> > Next to that, Tony ... wants to keep the API compatible
>
> I'm not sure I understand this, either.
>
> I change the API all the time, and get quite a lot of grief for doing
> so. See, for example, the recent discussion on renaming create()
> to insert()

Funnily enough, I took up that idea and made create practically

sub create {
  my ($class, $attrs) = @_;
  return $class->new($attrs)->insert;
}

I think it works rather well, and would love to see it in Class::DBI.

> I just try to make sure that there's always a lengthy deprecation cycle,
> during which time the "old way" continues to work.

And of course you also need to manage to not break all the plugins, and
people's custom relationships, and etc. etc. etc.

And indeed succeed pretty well at it, even if I would prefer you released
a little more often :)

DBIx::Class::CDBICompat is targeted for 0.999 test-wise anyway, on the
assumption that even at the current pace you'll have a release you're
happy with before DBIx::Class is stable enough it's compatability is
being tested in the Real World.

        --
             Matt S Trout           Website: http://www.shadowcatsystems.co.uk
  Technical Director        E-mail:  mst (at) shadowcatsystems.co.uk

(message missing)

Re: Annouce: DBIx::Class, a.k.a "taking the easy way out"
Matt S Trout 21:08 on 25 Jul 2005

Delegation vs Hooks (was: Annouce: DBIx::Class, a.k.a "taking the easy way out")
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Ask_Bj=F8rn_Hansen?= 23:27 on 26 Jul 2005