Re: Annouce: DBIx::Class, a.k.a "taking the easy way out"

From: Perrin Harkins
Subject: Re: Annouce: DBIx::Class, a.k.a "taking the easy way out"
Date: 01:31 on 26 Jul 2005
Brad Bowman wrote:
>>You're missing the point about what's wrong with mulitple inheritance.
>

> Great stuff!

Agreed.  A good laundry list of the bugaboos of MI.

>>But there's the static nature of using MI to gain behavior rather than
>>delegation.  Given the discussion about plug-ins this bears mentioning.
>

> The inheritence of Ima::DBI is another example.  People have had
> difficulty with multiple handles and mod_perl, yet since it's
> statically inherited behaviour there is nowhere to cleanly override it.
>
> And that's not even a multiple inherience issue.

And my solution to this in Ima::DBI is pretty much what Schwern
described: delegate the management of database connections to a separate
class, with a default implementation and an easy way to specify your own
alternative class that implements the same interface.  The code changes
are pretty minimal so far.  As soon as I finish updating the docs I'll
put out a dev release.

- perrin

(message missing)

Re: Annouce: DBIx::Class, a.k.a "taking the easy way out"
Perrin Harkins 01:31 on 26 Jul 2005

Delegation vs Hooks (was: Annouce: DBIx::Class, a.k.a "taking the easy way out")
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Ask_Bj=F8rn_Hansen?= 23:27 on 26 Jul 2005