Re: Annouce: DBIx::Class, a.k.a "taking the easy way out"

From: Matt S Trout
Subject: Re: Annouce: DBIx::Class, a.k.a "taking the easy way out"
Date: 21:48 on 25 Jul 2005
On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 05:21:13PM -0400, Perrin Harkins wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-07-25 at 21:55 +0100, Matt S Trout wrote:
> > > Many incarnations of Project 1 already exist on CPAN, so it may be easier to
> > > simply build Project 2 on top of them.  But speaking of "clean and
> > > extensible"...
> >
> > "many incarnations" ? I call bullshit, given you haven't provided a single
> > example.
>
> Take it easy guys -- we're just talking about software here.

Yes. But I asked for comments on the approach, not political rubbish and
second-hand mutterings from people who hadn't bothered looking at the code.

It feels like slashdot on here today.

> There are many O/R mappers on CPAN.  They don't have identical
> interfaces to Class::DBI, but they do have a lot of similar
> functionality.  Here are a few I know about:
>
> SPOPS
> Class::PObject
> DBIx::DBO2
> DBIx::RecordSet
> DBIx::Record
> (several others that look pretty immature omitted)
> And somewhat farther afield:
>
> Tangram
> Pixie
> XML::Comma
>
> This doesn't mean you shouldn't pursue your idea, but just be aware that
> many people have gone down this path before.

But not with the same approach, I don't think. So let's see whether we can
either make something cool with it, or learn why we can't.

I have, in fact, seen all of these. I've written test code using several,
and read the source for more. Some of them are rather cool. If you're
mapping objects onto a database rather than the other way round,
Class::Tangram is very nice indeed.

This path is a bit different. Where it ends up, we'll find out shortly.

        --
             Matt S Trout           Website: http://www.shadowcatsystems.co.uk
  Technical Director        E-mail:  mst (at) shadowcatsystems.co.uk

(message missing)

Re: Annouce: DBIx::Class, a.k.a "taking the easy way out"
Matt S Trout 21:48 on 25 Jul 2005

Delegation vs Hooks (was: Annouce: DBIx::Class, a.k.a "taking the easy way out")
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Ask_Bj=F8rn_Hansen?= 23:27 on 26 Jul 2005