Re: Annouce: DBIx::Class, a.k.a "taking the easy way out"

From: Matt S Trout
Subject: Re: Annouce: DBIx::Class, a.k.a "taking the easy way out"
Date: 17:47 on 26 Jul 2005
On Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 01:07:12PM -0400, Perrin Harkins wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-07-26 at 17:59 +0100, Matt S Trout wrote:
> > It isn't really a module in its own right, just a "standard recipe" for
> > composing a set of DBIx::Class components for use in an application. If
> > you want to do something different, all you have to provide is a class
> > called My::DBIC::SQL::Abstract which includes a suitable sub _cond_resolve,
> > and then create your own recipe
>
> Apache::Session tried to do things this way, and I'd say it didn't work
> out very well.  People didn't understand it, and eventually things like
> Apache::Session::Flex showed up to replace it.

Well, I can but try. Catalyst plugins all operate by multiple inheritance
and there seem to be plenty of them around.

> The biggest downside, IMO, is the "some assembly required" aspect of it.
> It's much easier to provide a SQL generating plugin that calls some
> accessor for setting the SQL generator than it is to provide enough
> documentation for everyone to understand how to make their own subclass
> and add the plugin to it.

Yes, it is. I may even provide a hook for such as part of the standard
system once I know what API people are going to need.

My point currently is that I *don't*, so it seems safest to make sure people
can do whatever they want and assume that if I don't produce a standard API
for such a task then at some point somebody else will.

        --
             Matt S Trout           Website: http://www.shadowcatsystems.co.uk
  Technical Director        E-mail:  mst (at) shadowcatsystems.co.uk

(message missing)

Re: Annouce: DBIx::Class, a.k.a "taking the easy way out"
Matt S Trout 17:47 on 26 Jul 2005

Delegation vs Hooks (was: Annouce: DBIx::Class, a.k.a "taking the easy way out")
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Ask_Bj=F8rn_Hansen?= 23:27 on 26 Jul 2005